Pages

THE CHURCH OF DEAD GIRLS by stephen dobyns

I have mixed feelings about this book. It is an interesting enough story and it accomplishes several things. 1. It establishes a clear sense of community (or lack of one). There is so much detail that I get that small town feeling where everybody knows everybody else's business. 2. The increasing paranoia of the town comes across wonderfully. The townspeople go from mildly suspicious to shoot-first-ask-questions-later (if at all). The paranoia is almost justified because there are kids involved. At the same time though, they go completely overboard (ransacking a home, for example). 3. The frustrations of people taking the law into their own hands are depicted so clearly that it was a bit scary. I could see people really acting like that and I think that is why it is scary. The mob mentality of angry groups always makes me nervous, and in this book there is a group of people who are both angry and scared. That is just a dangerous combination. In addition, the way this mob develops is interesting. It starts out as the "Friends," a group of people dedicated to finding the missing girls. But it turns into a pretend police force; I could almost picture angry villagers with torches and pitchforks.

All of those elements combine in such a way that this novel seems to have more than one "psycho." The most obvious psycho is the man abducting and killing the girls. But so many other crimes and murders take place, that there are several "psychos" in this one town. Dobyns did such a great job of showing this entire community that it seemed reasonable that the real "psycho" could have been anybody. I liked trying to figure out who it could be and it felt like I had an endless cast of characters from which to choose.

On the other hand, there were two things that I did not like. 1. The point of view. It is a first person narrator, but it really sounds like a thrid person omniscient narrator. This guy seems to know everything. And there are even a few times when the narrator tells us how he knows certain things (that he overheard a conversation, that he was told from another person, etc.). I just felt like the reader knew so much about everybody that a first person narrator was a bad fit. At the same time, it made the narrator seem like a creepy know-it-all and I thought he would turn out to be the murderer. This is not a big enough issue that it made me dislike the book; I simply remember stopping to think about it a couple of times. 2. The pace/details. I understand that all of the details were most likely necessary; it is how the reader learns so much about this town and its inhabitants. It is also how the author creates atmosphere. However, it felt like a little much at times. Sometimes I would get a bit mixed up about which characers were which and at other times the book felt like it moved along so slowly.

One of the more creepy parts of the book was at the very end when the narrator starts talking about hidden desires. "I spend more time with my students. At times it seems that I think of them as sexual creatures more often than I did in the past." "If you could look to the bottom of a human being, what desires would you find? And what desires are concealed beneath my white shirt and bow tie, my civilized veneer?" Then, this is turned on the reader: "What do you do with your fear? And do you dream?" It is a great way to end the book because it is suggesting that we are all a little crazy inside. We are just able to hide it and control it.

For now.

5 comments:

  1. I really like the way you say this seemed like a book full of psychos. It was, wasn't it? That made it really interesting to me because once the crazy was shown in just about everybody, then the point that we all have a dark side was solidified.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely agree with your points about the POV and the pacing, which were huge issues for me. It looks like I'm the only one who really disliked the book, but towards the end I did start to enjoy the creepiness of the narrator. I wish Dobyns had been able to build more of that into the book from the beginning instead of obsessing about the tiniest details.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, POV and pacing weren't why I assigned this book. Good points, especially at the end about the narrator. I think the reason it worked so well was that we all do ask such bizarre questions, even if we don't want to admit them. As always, fine work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jenn, I actually had quite a few issues with the book but other people (like you) articulated them much more than I seemed to be able to...and I'm a sucker for atmosphere anyway. I thought it was slow and overwritten with too many digressions, but the atmosphere I enjoyed. That's what tends to work for me in novels, movies and even video games, so I was forgiving of the sins I discovered b/c I did like the paranoia and creepiness of the "everyday made evil." But I admit I've wondered how I would have handled this story had it been mine. Would I have used a faster pace? Less Dickensian-style detail? A different POV? I don't have an answer yet.

    ReplyDelete
  5. For me, the POV and the layer upon layer of detail worked well. I liked the idea of having the narrator be the town know it all. That guy exists, trust me, I used to be married to him. There's always people in small towns who take it upon themselves to get some kind of dirt on everybody. It's like it's their mission in life. I didn't necessarily think the narrator was that type of person, however, so I can see where POV might have been an issue for you and others. Like you, I found the end compelling, and I did wonder more than once if the narrator would turn out to be the murderer.

    ReplyDelete