Pages

THE SCULPTOR by gregory funaro

I wasn’t sure what to expect with this one, but I enjoyed it much more than I expected to.

Unrelated to the idea of psychos, one of the first things that I noticed was that this book seemed to have a lot of romantic elements. I’m not saying that is a bad thing, however, it was somewhat unexpected to have it come across as so heavy handed. Cathy is in the process of getting a divorce from this crappy guy. Markham walks into her life and fulfills this strong, trustworthy, masculine role; in addition, he has a lot of his own emotional baggage due to the murder of his wife. These two are thrown into a situation where they have to work together. In those initial stages we see the awkwardness as they realize their feelings and figure out how to work together. We see the blushing and the crushing. Eventually their relationship moves to the next level. By the end of the novel, they save each other’s lives (I guess in more way than one), and they get married and are happy.

As for the psycho, I noticed the same idea of the killer making a transformation (much like in Red Dragon). In this case, however, it had to do with an awakening. Not only did The Sculptor undergo an awakening where he realized his true purpose, but he wanted to help society undergo an awakening also. The Sculptor thought that “he was put on this planet to save mankind from its own spiritual destruction. And so, just as he himself had awakened from a lifetime of slumber, The Sculptor would see to it that others would awaken as well.” His sculptures, though, were just one part of it. He felt that Cathy was “a genius on par with his own,” and he was going to use her to “become is mouthpiece – the vehicle through which he would get his message out to the world.” This created an interesting situation in the book because it all started to feel like this weird game. The Sculptor was using Cathy’s book as inspiration for his crimes. The detectives were using Cathy’s book to try to figure out the crimes. And the whole time The Sculptor is trying to plan and organize things in just the right way so that his message is transmitted correctly.

I am not sure how I feel about the ending of this novel. I liked that Cathy gets to take a major role in bringing down The Sculptor. However, I still have a few issues. Markham is taken out of the way as soon as they get to the house, only to come to the rescue at exactly the right moment later, when Cathy would otherwise have been doomed. She does shove The Sculptor into the tub of acetone and snaps one of the locks into place – that was fine. Then a fire starts, The Sculptor is burning, and there is a pretty decent explosion. But The Sculptor’s body can’t be found, which is rationalized with information about chemical fires and explosions. And by the very end there is another murder and it sounds like The Sculptor is at work again. It almost seems too easy. It kind of felt like other goofy cliffhangers where you think the monster/murderer/whatever is dead and then in the last few seconds, you realize it’s not dead. For such a neat idea with the sculptures and the art history aspects, I kind of expected a more interesting ending.

6 comments:

  1. I agree that the ending didn't quite seem to add up. After reading your post I had the image of Annie Wilks ranting about how the old Rocket Man clips didn't fully account for what happened in the last installment's cliffhanger. I know that a part of me was thinking "Why doesn't he just die already?" when Cathy shoved The Sculptor into the tub of acetone.

    I like your point about everyone in the novel trying to use Cathy's book to "awaken" others or catch a serial killer and how you viewed it as a weird game. I can certainly envision it as a gruesome tug-o-war match between the good guys and The Sculptor, each side wanting their respective message to be broadcast to society.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As I was reading this post I immediately had the same thought as Maddie about Annie Wilkes and the Rocket Man serials. The ending wasn't "fair." I almost had the sense that Funaro wrote himself into a corner and didn't know how to get out of it successfully. I also hated the way Sam literally dropped in--despite being severely injured--to save the day. In a book that had me rolling my eyes from the beginning, the ending was every bit as bad as I feared it would be.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was wondering if the ending didn't mean that someone (a copycat murderer) had found The Sculptor, badly burned and injured, and simply "saved" him by turning him into a sculpture, based on his own tenets.
    After all, Special Agent in Charge Burrell said he recognized the statue, even if he had never heard of The Sculptor. Perhaps not just an interpretation of a well known sculpture, but the body of the previous murderer sculpted as such...just a thought.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have to admit, the ending left me a little...meh. I agree with Jenn's point that it seemed like he didn't know quite how to end it, so he just said..."Ah...he cuts his own throat!" and ran out of the room screaming. I'm about to start reading his next one, "The Impaler," which I hope will improve on his bad points. I'll post a review when I'm done with it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good post, SLHB. Add one more echo to the "meh" ending. I'm wondering now if THE IMPALER is linked to THE SCULPTOR. I'm glad you liked the book despite its ending. It's always such a nice surprise to end up liking one you dread.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I too though the ending was a cop out of the highest order. Almost like a movie where the studio suits order additional scenes shot after the wrap to allow for the possibility of a sequel even when the story clearly doesn't allow for it. But that's nitpicking, because I thought the entire book was crap.

    ReplyDelete