Pages

JOYRIDE by jack ketchum

When I started reading this I immediately thought of the 2001 movie with the same title starring Steve Zahn, Paul Walker, Leelee Sobieski. So when I started reading this book, it took me a little while to figure out what was going on.

By the time I realized that this was going to be a completely different story, I was intrigued by Ketchum’s story. The characters come across as believable because they have so much personal baggage. The action is so fast paced that I had a hard time putting the book down.

This book seems like an essential reading selection for this class. It fits perfectly (not that the others didn’t, but this one just so much more).

The entire book is a dialogue about which killers are crazy and which type of crazy is okay. Carole and Lee murder her abusive ex-husband. On the surface, the murder is wrong; they killed somebody after all. But once you learn about the level of abuse and that she was constantly living in fear, the murder seems okay. Wrong, but understandable. As if to justify this even more for the reader, Rule feels the same way. When Wayne enters the picture and starts his killing spree, these murderers are juxtaposed in such a way that it almost forces the reader to choose sides and see one murderer as better than the other. There is even one part were Lee says to Carole, “I think we were sort of crazy. […] I think he [Howard] made us crazy. For me, anyway…leaving, going away wouldn’t have been enough. After what he did to you…I wanted him dead.” I guess it is a little scary that the explanation makes sense; it sounds like a good reason or excuse.

The ending of the book (when Rule covers for Carole) was a little too predictable. As soon as Wayne’s girlfriend started talking and mentioned they were at the Notch, I had a feeling that Howard’s murder would be pinned on him (either by Carole taking advantage of the situation or Rule leading the investigation that direction). It was a little disappointing. However, it also comes across as a pretty strong statement that sometimes murder is okay.

I was completely surprised by how violent and extreme the murder scene towards the end was. I did not see it coming that there would be a bloodbath in the neighborhood. The random, yet brutal killings, could have been enough on their own. But then Wayne takes out most of his neighborhood in a matter of minutes. One of the worst parts of that was thinking about those who were not killed. In some instances, Wayne kills everyone in the house except for one person who he leaves behind. It just deepens the damage that he’s doing and it’s disturbing to even think about.

With as extreme as the murders were, they were believable. While I was reading the book, I was impressed by how real it all felt. But when I read “On Writing Joyride,” it all made sense. Ketchum borrowed a scene from another author and mixed in details about two real killers. On one hand, it’s interesting to see how Ketchum created these characters. On the other hand, it’s kind of scary to read something so intense and realize - after the fact - that it was based on true events.

4 comments:

  1. I assumed from the beginning that Howard's murder would somehow be pinned on Wayne, so I agree on the predictability of the ending.

    The aspect I enjoyed the most was how the book builds tension with each of Wayne's crimes. In the beginning he assaults his girlfriend but is too afraid to cross the line into murder; by the end he's on a violent rampage through his neighborhood. That it was based on actual events does make it even scarier.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great analysis, SLHB. I agree that JOYRIDE seems like essential reading for this class, and I loved your explanation: "The entire book is a dialogue about which killers are crazy and which type of crazy is okay. Carole and Lee murder her abusive ex-husband. On the surface, the murder is wrong; they killed somebody after all. But once you learn about the level of abuse and that she was constantly living in fear, the murder seems okay. Wrong, but understandable." It's an interesting premise for a novel and goes straight to the heart of some of the questions that started our class in the first place.

    I'm also glad you mentioned "On Writing JOYRIDE", which I'd never heard of. I'm guessing it's bundled with the newer edition and will find a copy. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree that in this day and age it's hard to determine how crazy you have to be before you cease to be eccentric and start being out and out psychopathic/sociopathic. I also found the question of justifiable homicide and is there such a thing to be a prevalent theme in this book, and it's one that I'm divided on. Since I don't subscribe to Judeo-Christian theology I don't hold with the theory that "Vengeance is mine, sayeth the Lord" and all that. If someone wrongs you and you don't personally take action, to some degree it can be argued that you have only yourself to blame for being a (continued) victim. On the other hand, "thou shalt not kill" isn't just a Judeo-Christian guideline, it's common courtesy, and Karma or her equivalent certainly tends to have a way!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Piggybacking onto John's comment, I love your statement, "...which type of crazy is okay." Brilliant. That sums up the book in one phrase and I think that's what I liked best about it. That Ketchum was able to take a crumb of an idea (like King in Misery) and expand it into an entire, must read novel is mind blowing.

    And I agree with Carla,as well, on how we actually define crazy at this point, with so many strange happenings.

    ReplyDelete